Tuesday, January 20th 2009
8:56am PSTThe day after MLK day. The start of the inauguration.
I think I'm going to remember this day just as strong as I remember the death of Pope JP II.
I can remember myself waking up to this day as a celebration. I knew it was going to be a special day. I went to school earlier this morning with a radio in my hand. I didn't think I was going to be able to see or hear the inauguration during school hours because classes were going on. Little did I know, at the start of the day, I hear an announcement in my first period that we will have the chance to go to the Gym to watch, on live broadcast, the inauguration. The time came to go to the gym and a felt myself getting anxious.
As I walked into the dark gym, I saw the broadcast on the screen in front of me and I went towards the front and sat down with my boom-box radio in hand. It wasn't the clearest broadcast, but it was decent. Throughout the whole thing, this screen was flickering on and off. People were beginning to get annoyed. Sen. Dianne Feinstein introduces the candidates. Joe Biden was sworn into office, followed by a music performance. At this point, the broadcast was really bad.
Next, finally came the moment. Barack Obama being sworn into office. He went up and kind of messed up his words (Can't blame him for being nervous). And as he was being inaugurated, the screen went blank! At the worst time. Luckily, I had my boom-box radio with me. This next part is something I will surely remember.
With 1,600 students surrounding me in a dark gym, I turned on my radio, put it on the highest volume, and raised it over my head. (I'm not sure if everyone could hear, but the people around me and I listen)We listened to the inauguration together in that gym from a single radio. Haha, what a story? Not too great, but I'll remember it. It was me.
Eventually, the broadcast came back on and we finished the rest of his speech. It really was a great moment. Something that will be recorded and saved for history. Obama's speech was pretty great. Referring to and using the words of Washington. There was also a poem written and presented just for the occasion by Elizabeth Alexander.
Saying the pledge of allegiance was a bit different today as well. Do you ever actually listen to what you say during the pledge? Take the time, its worth it. Anyway, not to seem like lecturing or anything, but we should remember out National Anthem. Star Spangled Banner? Hearing from Fr. Romi's homily a few months ago, it stuck in my mind, we take our national anthem for granted. Much granted. We need to remember to reason and purpose behind it. Be proud to sing and hear it. There are many other people in other countries who would literally die to hear an anthem like we do. Our anthem has gone to the point of entertainment where we yell and scream and cheer, not for the anthem, but to the entertainer, at peak points. Sing the anthem with purpose.
Go America? We have work to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment