Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 2 - Meet the Students

All right, so today, I went out and helped my grandpa with his school. He teaches English and the Computer. I met some of his students, first in the morning, the younger students, ages 4-10, and then that night, I met his adult students, ages 20 & up. I taught the little kids how to play Big Booty and Duck, Duck, Goose.











Here is a picture of one of his younger classes.






I explored the area a little more. I learned my way from walking home to the school. I also bought some sandals. It still hasn't hit me that I'm in Vietnam. Everything is just so...new to me. I mean, walking through the streets is dangerous because there aren't any organized streets. There are a lot of thin people here. I can tell that their diet is pretty small because of the size of their meals. In the states, the meal sizes are much bigger. When I had lunch today, I had to order two portions.

So my grandpa asked me this question that I though was very interesting.

Which two of the following three have something in realtions/common with the other?
Only choose TWO.

A) Cow
B) Chicken
C) Grass















If you chose Cow and Chicken, then this means that you are very American or Westernized.
If you chose Cow and Grass, then this means you are in relations with Asia.

The Cow and Chicken represents the American way of categorizing like things. Cow and Chicken are both animals.

The Cow and Grass respresents seeing things from the larger picture, since Cows eat Grass, it is the natural way of seeing things in relation/common.


Later that day, I met up with Jonathan Phan! My childhood bestfriend. Unfortunately, he was leaving home to the states that same day.


That night, I went back to the school to see his adult class and students. It was pretty fun. Since they are learning English, and I am stuggling with Vietnamese, we taught each other things. We had some fun conversations. One of them told me how he loves baseball and watched it on ESPN every weekend. It was fun; they took me out for dinner at this famous local restaurant down the street. I burnt my finger.

Frere Phong's group is on their way to Saigon very soon and are about to fly over to Australia for WYD. I wish I could go with them.

No comments: